Tuesday, June 28, 2011

One of the most dramatic books.....

I've read lately was "Under an Afghan Sky"  by Melissa Fung, a Canadian journalist.  She was captured by a group of young Afghans outside a refugee camp in Kabul and kept prisoner in a hole in the ground for 28 days.  The only way I could get through this book was because I knew at the end of it she escaped.  I saw her interviewed on the National by Peter Mansbridge a few weeks ago.  I read it in about 3 days.  She behaved in a very intelligent way with her captors,  asking their names and taking an interest in their lives.  They told her they were Talib, but she suspected that they were just criminals, who supported the Taliban.  Finally she was released in exchange for a member of her captors' family, without payment.  She was lucky to get out alive.  It could have ended very differently.  The book is very well written and a compelling read.

No comments:

Post a Comment