Thursday, December 2, 2010

"The end.........

and the beginning."  The book I've been waiting for. (The Victory of Freedom, the Last Years, the Legacy) by George Weigel.  I read his first volume "Witness to Hope" a few years ago when it first came out and loved it and Pope John Paul.  What an extraordinary man he was: a man of character, strength and Faith.  I've just started this book and it takes me back to the time when I was so inspired by this man.  From the confusion of the Post Vatican II Church he led me back to the faith of my youth, but with wider and deeper and greater understanding.  The first two chapters of this book that I have just read, focus on Poland during the Nazi and Communist regimes and Pope John Paul's life and witness during those times.  How his early experiences of war and dictatorship, and the loss of his family, shaped his faith and his actions.  His was such a positive vision of the human person, just reading about him is stirring.  I read about 20 pages every morning and that sets me up for the day and makes me want to persevere in my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment